Feb 6, 2011

Feedback recently given

Someone recently asked me for feedback and after replying I thought perhaps my response
summarized some of
my current thinking on exercise and nutrition fairly well so...

Ed,

Even though part of me knows that my genetics/age are limiting factors for gaining significant size, I am not going down without a fight. 

If I was wealthy and didn't need to work, my first change would be to sleep 9 or 10 hours per day. I suspect very strongly that this would be significant and I've often thought that many debates about recovery in exercise are akin to straightening chairs on the titanic as 90% of the population is by definition sleep deprived. 

Note that people who are in prison often display incredible physiques despite daily marathon training and less than optimum nutrition. 

That could also be explained by higher testosterone levels in an agressive population coupled with higher motivation. (being considered weak in that society is a distinct disadvantage ) but I think the opportunity to train, eat and sleep lots must be a significant contributor. 

I feel lucky to get 7 to 8.5. 

For sheer size, I believe an emphasis on exercises like the trap bar deadlift, leg press and squat are essential. The combination I'm currently cycling is
Leg presses continuous 2 min or less to failure
Tbdl doing sets of 5 and 3 working up to a max weight for 3 reps
Lp using a 20 rep breathing squat/rest pause method*
Tbdl using a similar 20 rep method**


These are staples of weekly "big 3" which also include nautilus pullover (jreps and ult rep) dips, chins, nautilus decline press, torso arm and low back. 

For eating, I like Kurt harris' "get started" section on paleonu.com with an accent on getting more calories from fat to help with growth. Check this link often as Kurt updates continually as he does more research.  

My current strategy that I'm just starting is non workout days

Max 100 g carbs (if you go over do so with tubers)
Max 120 g protein
No limit fat (raw cream, coconut oil, raw eggs)

Workout day
Max 100g fat
No limit protein and carbs (though I will not eat junk) fruits, vegetables, tubers, raw honey, raw milk are preferred carb sources

I am trying this exercise and diet combination recently so cannot make any claims to effectiveness. Just my current attempt to go down fighting. 

Other sources for diet that you could check out are leangains and dipasquale's anabolic diet. I don't fully agree with details but some good info.

I do like Chris masterjohn. (google or look for on facebook) 

As for getting lean for competition, the "how to lose fat" link at the bottom of forementioned "getting started" link has good ideas   I might go with more protein. 

How lean?  The mirror is the best indicator and odds are it is leaner than you think, significantly. 

Truth be told, the current emphasis on extreme leanness as a judging criteria IMO is not "natural". I've read that our bodyfat serves a purpose in storing toxins, which in absence go to our organs. I cannot vouch for scientific validity of this but food for thought. 

In the last week to 10 days before a competition there is also a manipulation of water retention that takes place by using various tactics of water intake (drink lots), sodium and pottAssiun and carb intake. 

A bodybuilder who is not holding enough water will look small and stringy, just enough will show vascularity and muscle fullness and too much will make the person appear smooth or even bloated. 

Much of bodybuiding is illusionary and good posing which is a lot harder than it looks can serve to make a lesser physique win over a better one by emphasizing strengths and hiding weaknesses. Finally, judging is extremely subjective depending on what judge shows up. 

* first 10 reps with 5 second pause with knees just short of locked followed by 10 second pauses for next 5 reps and 15 second pauses for last 5. If that is not failure then do as many additional continuous reps over 20 and raise weight next time. 

**5 reps and 25 second break putting trap bar down then 5 reps and 30 second break then 3 reps and 35 seconds, 3 more and 40, 2 and and 45 and then final 2. If I can do more in good form then I keep going. With deadlift, failure is when form suffers. Take time to learn this exercise properly
-butt down
-eyes up
-hand position in line with ankles
-think pushing feet through floor rather than lifting with back

Part of the reason for pauses is to give yourself a chance to reposition for perfect form. I start to do this while there is still 10 seconds left in planned break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment