Jun 1, 2012

LEAVING A LEGACY OF EXCELLENCE

Today, I will align myself with cherishing reality, focusing and having fun, so that I may have the energy that I need to enthusiastically, live, love, learn and LEAVE A LEGACY OF EXCELLENCE.


LEAVING A LEGACY OF EXCELLENCE: When I think of the legacy that I want to leave in this world, I am reminded of two things: the first is the scene from the movie "Saving Private Ryan", in which a dying John Miller played by Tom Hanks, whispers his last words to "Private Ryan" played by Matt Damon: "Earn this!".

The second thing is the quote by Isaac Newton: "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

When I consider that men and women gave their lives not as a sacrifice (a term I do not like), but because they would rather have died as free men then to live as slaves, but nonetheless in doing so, having EARNED the freedom that makes my quality of life possible, I know that I can never even come close to being grateful enough.

That freedom is also what has made it possible for the "giants" of intellect and production to provide me with the comforts, medical care, safe food supply and knowledge and tools that make this the best time ever to be alive in this world. I do not believe these giants did it for me, because in my vision of heroism, I embrace rational self-interest, but in realizing their personal values, I was along for the ride, and again, my gratitude wil never be sufficient to them.

All this makes me realize that I want my legacy to simply be someone who has done his best to "earn this." Note that I say "do my best" to earn, rather than "actually earn", because I realize humbly that I will never be able to earn what others have paid for with their lives and I would never have the ability to create what those "giant" heroes before me have done.

However, for me to not actually acknowledge my debt of gratitude, and DO MY BEST, to earn it, would make of me a moocher, and my chosen goal as a legacy is to be a PRODUCER, not a moocher. Whether I make it or not, my intent is to "die trying, with style and grace!"

Thanks as always for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment