Jul 19, 2010

I'm back!

I have been delinquent in blogging and am getting back to routine as of today.... Recently found out that I'm relocating to Ottawa, and life has been chaotic, but... enough with excuses... will be striving to blog more often but shorter.... Three things today that came to mind:

1. Seek first to understand, THEN seek to be understood.

2. Align myself with cherishing reality, so that I may be aware of, and profit from all aspects of reality, especially those golden opportunities that could be disguised as problems or hardships.

3. I'm a creature of habit, and I need routine, or I am in danger of losing focus.

"Seek first...." I messed up today, didn't know all the facts, filled in the blanks and lunged out at someone verbally, only to find out that person needed support, not criticism. I should have known better. Now I have some amends to make....

"....golden opportunities that could be disguised as problems or hardships...." I realize in the last week, of trying to juggle my job from two different areas, selling and buying a home and helping out at home while my wife recovers from achilles tendon surgery, that I am capable of far more than I was honest with myself about. I wasted a lot of time, especially in the morning..... this is extremely valuable insight that will serve me... thank goodness for challenges!

"... I NEED routine...." I simply can't just go "with the flow"... I have to continually create accountabilities for myself, and I suspect, I'm not alone.... daily inventory of my actions to see if they are aligned with my values, mission and goals is indispensable! (example of reminding myself, one more time, of things I already know, but sometimes allow myself to lose sight of...

Best to all in your HEROic exploits!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog Rick. I need both routine and to have the ability to "go with the flow"; the trick is to know when to instill routine and when to just step outside that routine box. For my career, yes, routine is a must. However, when it comes to family time and just laying back and enjoy the good times, going with the flow is oh so fulfilling! I realize I'm simplifying things in this quick response - but I definitely agree as I need routine in my life also. All the best with the move and continued chaos for a little while until you're moved and settled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Monique. In my case, I need to remind myself to call the kids and or do something special for Lorraine or else the "gotta's" of life (often illusory) will crowd out the all too important "oughta's".

    ReplyDelete